Thursday, February 08, 2007

Peeves

Let's start with the most obvious...

My friend, DT hates the phrase "pet peeve". She never really explained why, she just does. You could say her pet peeve is pet peeve!

Hubby is disgusted when people say disirregardless. He mumbles, "There is no such word as disirregardless." It may not be in any dictionary but that doesn't keep it from being used every single day. You should see him cringe when newscasters say it.

My mom couldn't stand it when dad would say (after almost spilling his glass of beer or wine), "I'd rather see a church burn down." Frankly, I never gave it much thought. I figured it was just his way of rebelling since he's a PK (Preacher's Kid). But it bothered her a lot.

"It's good enough for government work," tees off my FIL, a retired Forest Service employee. He's so thorough, he would never do anything slap-dash so it's quite understandable why it would aggravate him.

I hate it when people use the the word "good" when they should use "well", as in "You did good." Wrong, wrong, wrong, people, it's "You did well." Good is an adjective. Adjectives describes nouns. "He's a good child." Well is an adverb. Adverbs modify a verb. Did (past tense of "to do") is a verb. Dosen't matter, no one cares. Except me. Watching TV news in our home can be quite interesting. Either hubby is yelling, "disirregardless is not a word!" or I'm reprimanding, "did well, not good, you idiot."

We've all got 'em, these irksome words or phrases or actions that just get our goat. I've no idea what got me going off on this tangent but, disirregardless (hehehehe) I did.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, real funny. Thought you were going to get away with that without a comment, did you?

By the way the non-word is "irregardless", not "disirregardless" (there is a whole bunch of negatives strung together for you.)

I maintain that "regardless" can (should) be used anywhere that "irregardless" is commonly used.

Hubby.

10:08 PM  
Blogger bemused said...

Irregardless, disregardless...oops. Does it really matter that I goofed and got it wrong since neither is a word?

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact I intentionally use disirregardless just to point out the stupidity of using "irregardless".

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home