Sunday, January 28, 2007

Indivisible

Nothing like a little calm, clear thinking. Here's what I wish I had written to my Aunt B.

My faith resides within me, as much a part of me as my skin. Additions or subtractions of words on money, in the Pledge of Allegiance, or statuary of the Ten Commandments in government buildings will not affect my personal relationship with God one tiny bit. I'd much rather spend my time and energy improving the lives of others than fighting for political stamps of approval.

What are you so afraid of?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should send it anyway -- well put, well said, and totally appropriate! I lost a friend the same way as your Aunt B war -- she wouldn't stop sending the same junk and that was 5 years ago! I just this Christmas received a card from her, which astonished me. Haven't replied -- am I the bitchy one?

12:11 PM  
Blogger bemused said...

It was so tempting, Carol, but I haven't yet and I don't think I will. It wouldn't do any good (although it would make me feel good) and it would likely increase the flow of emails, not stop it. Not at all what I'm aiming for.

My dad hasn't heard from her either. Peace reigns in the valley.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home