Friday, January 12, 2007

Don't confuse me with the facts...

"Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up." Yep, that about sums up my Aunt B, my dad's oldest sibling, his only sister and his only remaining sibling. She has redeeming qualities but I'm having a hard time focusing on those at the moment. With a bold egotistical attitude, she has decided that I need to be the recipient of her age and wisdom. Lucky me. It has taken the form of emails, ranging from the latest urban legend/email hoax (yo, Aunt B, this is bilge!) to political and religious propaganda. We do not share similar opinions - in fact, our viewpoints are diametrically opposed. For a long time, I simply deleted her messages and did not speak up out of respect and desire for family harmony. Then I got fed up. I simply asked Aunt B to leave me off her email list for these types of messages. I was very polite in my request. I did not attack her point of view, nor did I express mine. I said I simply did not want to receive these messages anymore. And then hooboy, did I get an earful about how I didn't show her the respect her age demands and that I needed to listen to her because it was her job to teach me. EXCUSE ME?!?! I already have parents, thank you very much. Well, that got my dad going and he gave his sis an earful. His email message to her brought tears to my eyes; he praised me and said he couldn't ask for a better daughter. Aunt B back-pedaled and apologized (shocker) and said she would only send me family messages (always glad to get those). And then for some reason - I suppose she couldn't help herself - last week she forwarded to me the latest version of an email supporting the posting of the Ten Commandments on government buildings and public schools.

The email ended with "If you agree, send this on. If you don't, just delete." As I went to hit the delete button, I stopped. I could not, would not, let this be. I had to refute this email full of twisted quotes, inaccuracies and incomplete information. And so began my 6 hours of research and writing. Here are a few highlights.

I had to laugh at the first fallacy. The email was attributed to Andy Rooney. He must be the "flavor of the day" but it's hilarious the authors chose him to support their religious propaganda because he is an agnostic (he says so in his book). But that wasn't the only instance that highlighted the email's originators' ignorance of the beliefs of figures of our time and of US history. Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were quoted. Thomas Jefferson's quote was accurate although it's application to the email's arguement was not made clear. The quote attributed to James Madison is false. Its source was a book whose author failed to check his secondary sources and who has since stated the quote is false. But what I found most interesting is the choice to use these two great statesmen for their arguement. Both Jefferson and Madison were staunch proponents of the separation of Church and state. A quote of Thomas Jefferson's was the basis of the Establishment Clause that we use today for separation of Church and State. James Madison opposed the practice of hiring clergy to pray at the beginning of each session of Congress.

The email singles out the renditions of Moses holding the Ten Commandments on 2 friezes on the Supreme Court Building. Yes, he's there and in one other frieze as well. However, the email failed to mention those who join him, including Confucious (is this an endorsement of Confuciousism?), Hammurabi (given the first stone of the Code by the Babylonian Sun God) and Mohammed (need I say more?). In all, there are 18 lawmakers honored in the various friezes in and on the building: Moses, Confucius, Solon, Menes, Hammurabi, Solomon, Lycurgus, Draco, Octavian, Justinian, Mohammed, Charlemagne, King John, Louis IX, Hugo Grotius, Sir William Blackstone, John Marshall and Napoleon. They represent law, religious and secular, and it is their contributions to law that is acknowledged and honored. Check out
http://www.supremecourtus.gov/about/symbolsoflaw.pdf
http://www.supremecourtus.gov/about/east&westwalls.pdf
http://www.supremecourtus.gov/about/north&southwalls.pdf
http://www.supremecourtus.gov/about/courtbuilding.pdf

With my dad's blessing, I sent my response to Aunt B. So far, no response. And that's okay. I'm fairly certain I made my point. I'm also fairly certain that I've confirmed Aunt B's image of me as a lost soul in need of salvation (I'm not), a Liberal and a Democrat (I'm an Independant) and a blot on the face of our country (that's her opinion). All of which I can live with. It would be useless to remind Aunt B that I'm a Christian, as is she. I'm afraid all she could focus on is how we differ in the ways we live and exemplify our beliefs. Faith is a deeply personal, spiritual journey that can not, should not be legislated. I side with Jefferson and Madison. We must continue to insist on the separation of Church and state. And that, contrary to the email's message, is not unconstitutional. It is upholding our US Constitution, a marvelous piece of legislation written by those much more learned and wise than myself.

5 Comments:

Blogger LeLo said...

Wow. You are a patient yet thoughtful soul. I can't imagine people who don't believe in the separation of church and state, but to be related to them, oh that's so hard! Relatives. Sigh.

6:14 PM  
Blogger bemused said...

I seem patient because I've had time to calm down. That wasn't the case when Aunt B sent that blistering email telling me I failed to respect her, it was her job to teach me, blah, blah, blah. I was furious! My dad told his sis that I was so angry that if there'd been snow on the ground, it would have melted under my feet from my fury. (gotta love that image.)

So far, no response from Aunt B and that's a-okay with me. I am sincerely hoping that I drove my point home and that I will no longer receive any of those types of emails from her. She's welcome to her opinion, I just don't want to be a recipient of such bilge. In no way do they invite any type of mature and rational discussion. "Sit down, shut up and do as I say" isn't any way to move forward and reach understanding, even if it is without agreement.

9:49 AM  
Blogger chaindropz said...

I recently researched in this area and found a few surprises worth noting.
Rightly or wrongly I have concluded that we were established as a Christian Nation kicking and screaming for religious freedom. Massachusetts was a Christian Congregationalist state that did not tolerate Catholics until 1833. Quakers were sometimes hanged.
I also do not like chain mail of any kind.

http://www.churchstatelaw.com/historicalmaterials/8_1_2_11.asp
http://www.getchwood.com/punishments/curious/chapter-11.html

7:34 PM  
Blogger bemused said...

Thanks for dropping in, chaindropz. I haven't had an opportunity to go to the links you provided yet but I hope to.

I've traced several lines of my ancestry back several hundred years. I discovered that among my ancesters were Quakers from Wales and Huegonots from France. Both groups came here in the early days of our nation to escape religious persecution - and often death - at home. As much as I'd like to idealize what they found here, I know differently and you've provided two examples.

10:41 AM  
Blogger rex said...

Bemused,

You are an idiot AND you're wrong.

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home