Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A three-fer

What's that old saying? When it rains, it pours.

We caught not one, not two, but THREE animals in our trap today! How did that happen, you ask. Well, let me tell you.

Critter Control came out Monday to check the trap. It was, once again, licked clean but empty. "I think you've got mice instead of squirrels," he said. "Mice can take the food without tripping the trigger."

"Could it be rats?" I feared the answer.

"No, rats are as big as squirrels. They are very smart but it is very unlikely they could get in the trap, get the food and not get caught. It's got to be mice."

He put two mouse traps inside the squirrel trap and said he'd be back in a day or two to check the trap.

About mid-day today, I heard a heck of a racket when I was in the master bathroom (above it is their preferred spot in our attic). I thought the noise was coming from the attic so I banged on the ceiling and hollered, "Get the hell out!!"

The noise didn't stop. It was so loud and it was starting to freak me out. Could it, whatever it is, be chewing its way through the ceiling? Am I going to have to do battle with a beastie in my house?

And then it dawned on me. Maybe we caught something. Maybe the noise was coming from the trap, perched on the roof, just outside the bathroom window.

Sure enough, I could see 2 beady eyes and a bushy tail in the trap. Hallelujah! I called Critter Control to tell them the good news. He came while I was out but he left me a note:

Caught: 1 squirrel, 2 mice

I read it through several times. When the heck did we catch the mice? And ewwww, how icky to think the squirrel went into the trap with 2 dead mice already there and then to be stuck with them in the trap. (Would Rocky now have nightmares? Would he need therapy?)

I just don't know what to make of our catch. Does this mean we have both squirrels and mice cohabitating in our attic? Is there inter-species relations going on under our roof (literally)? Oh, my. Don't tell the Religious Right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home