Monday, August 28, 2006

Walking the talk

Recently, good friends and I enjoyed a delicious meal at Nicholas Restaurant. As we walked back to our cars, we took a small sidetrip towards the I-84 entrance ramp off Grand to identify a tree that puzzled us on our way to the restaurant. (We're all nutty gardeners, you see, and a plant puzzle can not be left alone.) We voiced our surprise that it was a very confused dogwood (does it not know it should bloom in the spring?) before we noticed the makeshift shelter in the tall grass and ratty-looking shrubs. That began a discussion of the causes of homelessness. "Drug and alcohol abuse." "Mental illness." "Social dysfunction." I became so wrapped up in the conversation, I did not see the man sitting at the street corner, a victim of the condition we were discussing.

Without missing a beat, L walked over to him and handed him her dinner left-overs. It took me a few more beats - enough time to bring myself back to awareness of my surroundings - before I followed suit. The man was so grateful for our paltry offerings.

I'd been discussing the condition intellectually and I felt ashamed that I hadn't been emotionally present in the moment to see an example staring me in the face. Thank you, L, for reminding me that simple acts can make a difference. In the spirit of your kind gesture, I've added links to a few of my favorite charities (see right side bar) that help make a difference to the lives of those less fortunate. Whether faith or basic human decency motivates you, please don't forget to help the lesser among us.

Excerpt from Matthew 25:35,40. "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me...Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me."



P.S. I do *not* advocate giving money to people on street corners. I will not condone or encourage professional begging nor will I enable destructive addictions. I feel that type of aid does not alleviate the problem of or root causes behind homelessness.

2 Comments:

Blogger LeLo said...

How much of this are we surrounded by and have become blind to seeing?

My brother in law from Australia came to the US, and was blown away by the horribleness of homeless: it just doesn't exist in Australia. He saw it everywhere, even when we didn't.

I know the place you're talking about: it's a chronic location for homeless camps. So visible along the highway there. Sad.

8:54 PM  
Blogger bemused said...

Why is homelessness not a problem in Australia? What do they do right and how can we do that here?

Have you heard of Outside In, the organization in downtown Portland that helps the homeless, especially homeless youth? I checked out their website and their financial report and it seems they do a good job of using the majority of donation dollars to serve the homeless and not for administration/fundraising costs. I may have to add them to my list of charities to support.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home