Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A drink and a smile

"Where are the bathrooms?"

"They are down the hall, on the right, just after the bubbler."

As I walked away, I smiled hugely. In Wisconsin, drinking fountains are called bubblers. It's such a happy term that I can't help but grin. Bubblers; as if the water is bursting forth in joy and giggles to refresh the drinker. Drinking fountain is dully descriptive. Any sense of fun from the word, fountain, is negated by the no-nonsence word, drinking. Thud, it falls away, leaving no lasting impression. It quenches the thirst but not the soul.

I'd rather drink from a bubbler.

3 Comments:

Blogger darling said...

Ive never heard them called a bubbler, I think its a lot of fun!!

It sure made me smile!
Thanks lol

11:48 AM  
Blogger LeLo said...

Portland has the Benson Bubblers!

8:52 PM  
Blogger bemused said...

Oops, lelo, I forgot about the Benson Bubblers! Wise move on their part - Benson Drinking Fountains just doesn't have the same appeal. ;-)

Thanks for dropping in, darling24_7!

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home