Monday, February 20, 2006

Seven songs I’m really into

Meme time (would someone please tell me what this stands for? My weird mind conjures all types of phrasing: Men eating messy eggs. Merry elephants marching eternally.) I've been tagged by lelo (I'm no longer a tag virgin, I guess). Here’s the scoop:

"List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to."

Like lelo, I used to be really into music. I still am but I don't play music as often as I used to. I have CDs in my car in a handy 6-disc CD changer but its convenience makes me lazy and I don't change the selection as often as I could. I also play the radio, tuning in rock or NPR. We have a large collection of records but they are silent at present since both record players are in the attic waiting for a place on our shelves (requires holes and wiring and until we determine the set-up, we aren't drilling holes in the beautiful bookcase built by hubby and my dad.) So my list is compiled with exceptions to the rules since I'm including one song that I'm only hearing in my head. (does this fall under "voices in the head"? Am I in trouble?)

1. "Downtown" by Petula Clark, 1964. I heard this on KHITS (106.7) the other day. I sang along as well as I could (which wasn't very well at all) and remembered when this song was still fairly new. My best friends, Sally and Wendy, and I would dress up in Wendy's basement and sing this song, complete with "microphones" (ie. hair brushes). "Lemon Tree", "Those Were The Days", "Windy," "I Want to Hold Your Hand," and "She Loves You," along with any song from the Monkees also suffered our attention. Wendy had the best dress up clothes; fancy, frilly 50's dresses that her mom no longer wore. My favorite was this baby-blue chiffon dress with spaghetti straps that floated in the air when I moved. I did a lot of swaying just for the effect.

2. "25 or 6 to 4" by Chicago, mid-'70's. I also heard this on KHITS recently. I would imagine that most Chicago area high schools favored this band strongly. We had a HS rock band that did amazing covers of Chicago hits (we also had another with a female singer that did a favorable representation of Joni Mitchell). They played at our High School Graduation Dance (the Chicago cover band, that is, not the real group) where I tried to summon my courage to ask Ed, the object of a long, long crush, to dance. I never did find the guts, even after a friend asked him to show me how easy it was to do.

3. A song by Queen from the '70s that contains the lyrics "I want to ride my bicycle" but for the life of me, I can't remember which song it is. I keep hearing the lyrics over and over in my head because I was going to blog about bicycling. If anyone can help me solve this musical mystery, I'd be grateful!

4. "Somewhere over China" by Jimmy Buffet, '90. Jimmy Buffet is one of my husband's favorite singers and if we don't own every single CD of his, we've got to be close. This song - and CD - is among my favorites of this singer. I love the dreamy quality and nostalgia it summons up.

5. "Harder to Breathe" by Maroon 5, '02. I love this song for its high energy funk and it's what prompted me to buy the "Songs About Jane" CD. Great funky, bluezy, groovy music with nods to Stevie Wonder (another fave).

6. So I've got to include a Stevie Wonder hit but heck, it's hard to choose which is my favorite from his Songs in the Key of Life double album so I'm going to take the easy way out and choose the whole shebang. (yeah, I'm cheating but what are you gonna do about it? ;-) ).

7. Huh, I'm at number 7 already. I thought I'd have a hard time but I could keep on going. So what's going to be my number 7 song...okay, I'm going to cheat again and list a CD that is in my car, "The Best of Van Morrison", '98. Please don't ask me to narrow down my choice to a single song. Would it be "Gloria" (so great to play loud, really loud) or "Bright Side of the Road" or "Moondance"? And that's only the first 3 songs on the CD.

This really isn't a good representation of the music I love since I can't include favorite folk singers, such as James Taylor and Carol King, or blues singer, Johnny Lang (another good one to blast loud) or the weirdly named band, Death cab for cutie (thanks to a friend for turning me onto them) or Supertramp, or or or...

This Meme is going to end quietly with me, lelo. I'm too new on the blog scene to know seven others to tag. But thanks for letting me play. ;-)

I have to add a postscript after checking the APOD for today: Major Tom - now I've got David Bowie's "Space Oddity" playing in my head...

2 Comments:

Blogger freethoughtguy said...

I like your taste in music!

5:45 PM  
Blogger bemused said...

Thanks, freethinker! It stands to reason that I must like your taste in music, too. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by and posting.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home