Sunday, February 19, 2006

Creativity on the run

Why is it that my most creative thoughts occur in the semi-conscious state of dreamland? Words come together with flow and perfection to create marvelous and magical compositions. I think, "That's it! That's exactly how it should be written. I must remember this," only to realize upon awakening that perfection is stuck fast behind my closed eyelids. How cruel is that? Each time this happens, I think that I must wake myself up to write down my ideas but I can never rouse myself enough to do that. Even if I did, there's no way to know that my prose would not run as quickly from my grasp as it does in the morning light.

I comfort myself with the thought that perhaps my compositions are not as magnificent as I recall they were. Since this occurs in that magical land where I believe I can fly and I am always a taller, slimmer version of myself, my judgement is questionable. But still, it grieves me to think that my sleeping self is so much more brilliant than my waking self.

Perhaps it is the demands of daily life that block this deep well within myself from bubbling to the surface. That's a thought that will need further contemplation. Later. For now, I must fly to attend to tasks that will not wait.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, nice blog!! interesting reading :)) you really got me going on that song by Queen .. till it nearly drove me nuts, so decided to look it up...hopefully to put us both out of our misery :))) and guess what it's just called bicycle race!!! now why couln't I just come up with that??? I've pasted a link for you :http://www.queenwords.com/lyrics/songs/sng11_05.shtml.. so you can check it out for yourself..cheers from Johannesburg ...South Africa

4:25 PM  
Blogger bemused said...

Wow, thanks, frankie for helping me solve my song mystery! You're right, given the lyrics I could recall, the name just makes too much sense.

And thanks for the compliment. I'm having fun with my blog but I always figured it was hiding in some obscure spot on the 'net with little traffic wandering through. It's great to know people do find it - all the way from Johannesburg, too! - and enjoy reading my weird little thoughts.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're very welcome bemused...it's a great blog and deserving of the compliment...i'm sure you're a famous author or something!!!I've been so sluggish with my own personal blog and envy your dedication to yours :))...actually i have 2..and one is 'sort-of'up and running..maybe you can pop in for a visit and tell me what you think :)) but not nearly as glamorous as yours ...teehee
hope to see you there sometime ..it's TriviaSA.blogspot.com
ciao for now

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home