Saturday, January 21, 2006

middle-something

My doctor called me middle-aged. It's a good thing I like her - a lot, I might add.

"I'm not middle-aged! I won't be until I'm, well, at least not until I'm 55," I cried.

She leveled a look at me and asked, "Just how long do you think you're going to live?"

Oh. Yeah. Middle-aged, as in I've lived through half of my life already. I reluctantly accepted her diagnosis. My hesitation isn't a hang-up about my age or about getting older. I'm 47. See, I don't hide from it or lie about it.

It's the label - middle-aged. Oh, how I hate that label! It brings up all kinds of negative associations: middle ages, Medievil, evil, darkness, ignorance, misery, despondency, harshness, uncertainty, danger. There has to be a better label, I thought, one that conveys the excitement and the potential of this time in my life.

And I think I've found it, thanks to Gail Sheehy: middlessence, the beginning of a second adulthood. I like the associations with this label: essence, luminescence, light, enlightenment, possibilities, joy, positive life energy. Yep, this label's a keeper.

I'm armed with a better response for my next doctor's visit. I can't wait.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember returning home for a visit at the ripe old age of 20. Yes! Finally an adult! My dentist made some comment about me looking 16. Humph! "Quack" (I thought rather indignantly)! I must have had a similar look on my face because he gently informed me that one day I would be happy to have someone mistake me for a younger woman.

That day is here! Personally, I'm going to do everything in my power to put off "middle-age" as long as I can! "Middlessense", however, I'll embrace immediately!

-- sue_l

12:05 PM  
Blogger LeLo said...

Love middlessence: I'm barrelling down on it quickly. And yet today, my hair is in ponytails.
Hrmph.
I refuse to succomb to matronly expectations. I hope to evolve into the crazy eclectic old lady with no kids, a ton of pets, and a thousand artistic talents. I'm on my way there...

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home