Friday, January 20, 2006

ice water

Zac likes ice water. Every day he asks me for ice cubes for his water and I oblige. This simple gesture makes him so happy, which makes me happy. No big deal, right?

Does it make any difference that Zac is my cat? Have you ever known a cat who insists on his water being chilled? I haven't.

It all began when I dropped an ice cube on our kitchen floor. Zac discovered that ice scoots along vinyl quite nicely and he made a game of it. He gave me a saddened look when I scooped it up and tossed it in the sink (I'd had enough of cold, wet puddles under my bare feet). But he knew that I would drop an ice cube again - or maybe two, one can only hope - so he would come running to the kitchen when he heard me reaching into the ice tray. I have to admit to being clumsy a time or two on purpose. One day after he'd had his fun, I tossed the ice cube in his water dish as a trophy-offering to the winning team. Oh, the look of glee on his face! Well, that sealed my fate. Our little game has become a daily morning routine. Zac won't leave me to drink my coffee in peace until I give him ice cubes, completely bypassing the ice hockey game these days. And I swear he thanks me. Before he takes a drink, he looks at me and offers a purr-rumbling meow.

Hubby says Zac's got me trained and that I spoil him. I can live with that.

5 Comments:

Blogger LeLo said...

Zac is a very smart cat!

I love ice, too, but I think it has more to do with iron deficiency than play.

BTW, welcome to the blogging world bemused musings! Muy excitamente!

12:10 PM  
Blogger bemused said...

Okay, I give. What does an iron deficiency have to do with loving ice?

Thanks for the welcome.

7:08 PM  
Blogger LeLo said...

Evidently the craving to chew ice is a sign of iron deficiency.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great way to start my day! Coca-cola and a smile (never coffee this early in the AM -- I like to save my Starbucks experience until after noon)!

Apparently, the spirit of Erma Bombeck has taken up residence in Oregon. Three cheers!!!

Zac has a soulmate in Gryffin (my new puppy). He shares the same fondness for ice; however, he insists that 3 cubes be placed in his food dish, NOT his water dish! Never argue with a Siberian Husky -- you'll regret it!

9:16 AM  
Blogger bemused said...

Hi sue-l, how great that you stopped in! Coca-cola and a smile...yup, that's you.

I thought ice cubes in the water was weird but ice cubes in the food dish? Okay, Gryffin racks up more weirdness points than Zac (and he's okay with that).

lelo, I didn't know about that connection. I don't understand it but who's to argue with cravings. I know I never do. When my body says "I need chocolate" I always listen.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home