Monday, January 30, 2006

A trip, a stumble and a fall

Good intentions, like New Year's Resolutions, don't get the job done without some effort behind them. As a developing writer, I strive to write daily. I thought a blog would give me the extra push to keep that commitment. If I failed to do so, my stumble would be public and that knowledge just might keep me honest with myself. Hmmmmm, my theory hasn't quite proven true.

I tried, really I did, these last few days. I dreamt up titles and composed sentences in my head but all clever prose - so perfect in my mind's eye - disappeared in to the recesses of my brain when I sat down at the computer. I stared at the monitor as if frozen; no words spilled from my brain through my fingers on to the page. But I shouldn't have let that stop me from moving my fingers across the keyboard, even if all they spelled out was a jumble of letters with nary an intelligible word among them. A wise friend and accomplished writer told me her secret: just start writing even if it turns out to be crap. Get the ideas out and go back to fix them later. Movement is the key apparently, as if the finger bones are directly connected to the brain bone. Idleness weakens the connection and typing, regardless of content, is physical therapy for writer's block.

A fall does not equal a failure unless I allow it to stop my efforts completely. I'm pulling myself up, dusting myself off and steeling myself against future trips and subsequent crappy writing.

Okay, fingers, do your job and channel my hidden eloquence.

6 Comments:

Blogger LeLo said...

hahhahhahahha! Sigh. I use photos to help me write. And I think of my blog as a quasi journal thing. (within limits, of course). The nice thing about a blog is that there's a whole lot of CRAP out there, and I figure even my grammatically incoherent ranting and carrying on is better than some of the other crap.

See how incoherent that was? Case proved.

P.S. if i blogged about 1/4 of the stuff i think about blogging about I wouldn't do anything but blog. scary! don't worry. the muse, bemused, will come!

1:31 PM  
Blogger bemused said...

Oh, yes, limits for blogging are a good thing. I'm amazed at some of the intimate details shared on blogs. And it's not just their personal stuff but that of friends and family. I'm sure it is shared without permission, too. That is not cool (I won't do that so everyone can rest easy).

I should do as you do - compare myself to the crap out there and judge my writing on a curve. Instead, I red ink it where needed and try to improve, proving my point to my kids that learning is a life long endeavor.

10:06 AM  
Blogger LeLo said...

Hahhahah! You're a mom!

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, the same is true of editing film/video. There are days that I just stare at the screen and think to myself "what the heck am I going to do with this mess?"

I guess "creativity" is a muscle that needs to be flexed (and fed) on a consistent basis. At least in my line of work I can take a break by checking out a movie or even watching 30 minutes of mindless entertainment (aka: television) for inspiration. Yeah, that's the ticket... I'm not watching "24" for enjoyment, I'm doing research on creative editing! LOL!

-- Sue

11:54 AM  
Blogger bemused said...

My poor boys suffer because I'm always on the look-out for those annoying, teachable moments, lelo (but somehow I think they'll survive).

Sue, I wish I could rationalize my addiction to "Lost" and such but dang it, I don't think TV watching is as easily justified for writing inspiration as it is for video editing. I wasn't able to win my parents over with that arguement in high school either.

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you can rationalize your addiction to "Lost"... after all, you may decide to branch out and try your hand at screenplays, the theatre, novels or other dialogue driven venues!

(You forget, I used to work in advertising... I can rationalize just about anything! ;-)

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home