Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The jump forward

Via a phone call from a friend yesterday, a wonderful writing opportunity has come my way. My initial excitement has given way to trepidation, damnable trepidation that hobbles my feet and prevents me from moving forward with ease and confidence. But I won't let it trip me up. I turn my attention to two inspirational poems by Mary Anne Radmacher on the bulletin board in my office.

  • Live with Intention

  • The Jump is so Frightening


  • Her words remind me that this isn't a dress rehearsal of life, this is the real thing. I can affect my life's direction as much by my lack of action as I can by my choices. Failure is a possiblity but success will never happen if I don't try. I squelch my discouraging inner litany of "Who the hell do I think I am? I can't do this! They'll find out I'm a fraud," and banish the thoughts again and again as they come back up like reminders of a bad meal. I will not let fear be the winner in this battle. With chin up, shoulders back and chest out, my focus centers on the challenge that lies ahead. I'll draw a deep breath and jump, hoping that, like my cat, I'll land on my feet.

    Wish me luck.

    3 Comments:

    Blogger LeLo said...

    Love those quotes. So true about jumping in.

    I'm so excited for you and your top secret writing opportunity. That is an awesome opportunity and they probably found the very best person: you'll do great!

    10:52 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You CAN do it... and you will not only succeed, you will exceed everyone's expectations!!!!!

    7:44 PM  
    Blogger bemused said...

    Aw, shucks, you two are good for my ego. Thanks! I'm feeling calmer and more confident than I was. I think I'm slowly growing accustomed to the idea. Now to wait (im)patiently to find out if I got the job or not.

    9:16 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home